Keeping you up-to-date on Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception,
including news, trailers, interviews, screenshots, theories, and more.

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Jackman as Drake?

(click blog to link to MOST DISTRESSING NEWS ARTICLE)

So Nolan North, in an interview with Official Playstation Magazine UK, hinted that producers are looking into getting Hugh Jackman to play Drake in the movie adaptation.

I try to refrain from editorializing a lot on the blog, but I'm sorry, this makes me really really nervous.

As North points out, the idea here is to get a big name to headline the movie, probably to draw in crowds that otherwise might not know the franchise. I understand the inclination to do this, but recent movie trends have shown that even A-list stars don't necessarily make a movie more of a success than anyone else would. Plus, I can't help but think that when people see "Uncharted, starring Hugh Jackman," they're going to get the wrong impression about the film. The average movie-goer is going to think "Huh, Hugh Jackman. Wolverine." Maybe they'll remember The Prestige, or Australia, or Van Helsing, or that he sings; maybe more if they're big Jackman fans. I don't think any of these associations will really be something Uncharted can benefit from. Jackman gets a lot of intense roles, and I'm worried that will give the impression of Uncharted being less light-hearted than it actually is, regardless of whether or not the movie delivers on that front.

I generally support casting lesser known actors for adaptation works; it brings far less baggage to a role that already demands a certain finesse in navigating it. While the internet favorite for Drake has been Nathan Fillion for a while, and while I see his appeal, he also wouldn't be my first choice.

Sorry to be such a nitpicky fan, but what it boils down to is that Hugh Jackman would have to absolutely blow me away for me to buy him as Drake.

Expect a poll on this topic next week :P

No comments:

Post a Comment